How to Choose the Right Breast Implants
Are you considering a breast augmentation to enhance your appearance and boost your confidence? Choosing the right breast implants is a crucial part of the process. With various options available, it’s important to make an informed choice that aligns with your body proportions, lifestyle, and aesthetic goals. It can also prove helpful for those interested in exchanging their existing implants for a new set to review the different options available in advance of their breast revision surgery.
Our board-certified plastic surgeon in Corpus Christi, Dr. Cassidy Hinojosa, has compiled the following guide to help patients navigate the implant selection process and obtain the beautifully proportionate breast augmentation results they desire.
- Consult with a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon: The first step in selecting the optimal breast implants is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Experienced surgeons can assess your body type, discuss your goals, and provide expert recommendations tailored to your specific needs. They can also help you understand the available options and the different potential outcomes associated with different implant types.
- Understand Implant Types: Breast implants come in two primary types: saline and silicone. Saline implants are filled with sterile saltwater and offer adjustability in terms of size. Silicone implants, on the other hand, are filled with silicone gel and provide a more natural look and feel. Your surgeon can offer guidance to help you choose the right type based on your desired results.
- Consider Implant Size and Shape: Selecting the appropriate size and shape of breast implants is a personal decision. Think about the proportions of your body and your desired cup size. Dr. Hinojosa uses breast sizers—which patients can try on in the office—to simulate different implant sizes and shapes, helping you visualize the potential outcomes.
- Decide on an Implant Profile: Breast implant profiles refer to how far the implant projects from the chest wall. Options include low, moderate, high, and extra-high profiles. Your choice will affect the overall shape and projection of your breasts.
- Review Incision and Implant Placement Options: Breast implants can be placed through several different incision sites, with Dr. Hinojosa’s preference being to place implants through incisions along the inframammary fold (the crease below the breasts). Patients must also decide whether to place the implants above or below the pectoral muscles. These options can be explained in greater depth during a consultation, at which point your surgeon can make personalized recommendations.
Choosing the right breast implants is a significant decision that should be made after careful consideration and consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon. Your surgeon will typically be your most valuable resource in this journey, guiding you toward achieving your desired results while prioritizing your safety and satisfaction.
To learn more about breast implants, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Hinojosa, please contact Coastal Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery Center today!